Monday, December 13, 2010

For a good time.....call

Jenny's got a boyfriend. Not a boy that is a friend. An ACTUALLY boy that asked her to be his "girlfriend". What!! She is six ... and I think I failed my first mother/daughter girl talk session with her. This is how it went down...

Jen- Mom, "Can you keep a secret?"

Me- Sure.

Jen- "Promise you wont tell ANYONE!!! Esp. Dad and Josh....

Me- Okay.. what? ( yes, I am aware of the fact I am telling the whole blog sphere but she's six! )

Jen- I have a boyfriend .... (and hides her head in her hands)

Me- What! What do you mean... silly girl.

Jen- Caleb asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday and I said YES!! (Hides her Head in her hands again)

Me- Oh,... (pausing to think of what to say) do you really need to be boyfriend/girlfriend Jenny that is kinda silly you guys should just be best friends.. you are too little to have a boyfriend... What does it mean to be his girlfriend?
(kinda came out sounding like my mother a little...augghh I think to myself Im getting old and uncool)

Jen- Nothing... well, today at music we sat together and let our backpacks touch and we pretended that they were married and were kissing...

Mom- (A little shocked...) Oh... (pause) That is silly (giggle) you guys don't kiss right...( pause) JENNY RIGHT!!

Jen- (head in her hands again, refusing to answer) I don't wanna tell you ... (whimpering and starting to cry)

Me- Jenny, just tell me okay..

Jen- I'm afraid to... I dont remember...

Bailey-( who has been quiet until now)  Ewwww!!! Jenny you are in so much trouble Dad is gonna rip his lips off!

Me- Jenny...

Jen- I'm afraid .... you will (sob) make us  (sob) break up! (sob)

Me - (giggle couldnt help it she's SIX) Jenny.. its okay just tell me

Jen- Okay... He kissed me TWICE... on the cheek. (whew)

Me- ( a little dumbfounded at this point) um, um, Jen I think you guys shouldnt be kissing each other ok you can be best friends and  show him you like him by giving him a .....high five or something??  ( again lame mom comment out of my mouth)

Jen- But he just broke up with Lauren cause she wouldn't do the baby part when we play house.

Me- WHAT! WHAT IS THE BABY PART JENNY!!!!  (shocked)

Jen- You know when you play house and you pretend you are married and then you pretend to have a baby.... well ...I 'm not sure I'm usually the dog.

Me- Oh.... (pause and giggle ) If it was me I'd totally keep being the dog cause you know DOGS are more fun then anyone else ... they get to bark and bite and run around.. ( she didnt sound conviced so I threw in.. ) and sniff their own butts..

Jen- LAUGHING... maybe your right... That is funner then having a baby. (whew)

4 comments:

utahowens said...

That is funny. tell her I love her.

utahowens said...

good job!

Cameron and Amy said...

Totally laughed out loud at this post. You handled it well.

Becky Peterson said...

you are well on your way to handling a teenager.